Monkey see Monkey do

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Maybe this one isnt considered by March reflection post yet, but after lunch with Sonia, I thought alot about things.

About how decisions made because of the fear of uncertainty are almost always shit decisions. Sounds like a no brainer I know, but the sad truth is, I think our lives (or my life) have been peppered with such decisions. Taking a course in university just because its not "Right" to be uncertain about what you want to do. Taking a leap with a significant other just because that state of uncertainty isnt "right". Even down to the minute details, like making a pass in a game simply because i'm uncertain with what to do. Much like in water polo, I guess taking a step back, making a calm decision or taking a delay in making that decision, is better than making a wrong decision. The more I think about it, the more it makes some sense to me, this analogy. A centreback distributing a pass in attack. Time in attack is ticking down and the defence is tight on his teammates. To get rid of the uncertainty of what to do with the ball in offense, he forces a pass to a teammate under heavy pressure and ended up going a goal down due to the resulting counter attack. Whereas, he could have just threw the ball to a corner and gave up that attack.

Similarly in life, that snap decision you make simply to get rid of your uncertainty is going to cost you more in the future even if it solves your split second need for certainty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home